I’m not one to complain much (regardless of what some people say), but let’s be honest here for a second, shall we?
Guys have it much easier than us when it comes to mid-day workouts.
I watch the guys in my office be able to get in a 30-45 minute workout, shower in 15 minutes, and be back at the office 10 later. Um…it takes me 15-20 to just dry my hair. No fair.
So to make it a little easier on those days when you’re only option is a mid-day gym sesh, we’ve put together a list of must-haves for your gym bag to hopefully cut down on time.
1. Dry Shampoo. Combat sweaty strands with a quick spritz of the good stuff. It cuts down on showering time, and you eliminate the need for drying time. Some good ones are Moroccan Oil (check your color options), Redken, and Oribe (this one will also give you some extra texture…bonus!).
2. Cleansing Wipes. I’m addicted to Cetaphil wipes. They are great for sensitive skin (hello!) and will rival any other wipe for make-up removal (however, I highly recommend that you use a liquid facial cleanser-I’m obsessed with my Clarisonic brush-in the evening before bed).
3. Travel size creams/gels. Most places have travel size options for face creams, shower creams, etc. I’ve developed relationships with the make-up gurus at Nordstrom who will give me a couple of the ‘sample size’ creams/serums and make up things I use. I highly recommend asking next time you’re at a make-up counter for some samples. Most sales people oblige! If you can shop at Target/Ulta/etc. for your skin-care and make-up regime, first off, I’m jealous. #sensitiveskinproblems. Second, get some of the travel size containers to fill and add them to your bag!
4. Ear buds. I love my beats by dre. They have a little microphone that I can use to make calls, listen to conference calls, or check voicemails while I’m freshening up. One less thing to do when I get back to my desk. Also? I usually like to meet new people, but sometimes I’m not in the mood for awkward convo. Esp in the locker room of a gym. Headphones are a great barrier. Plus, there’s nothing worse than facing a 30 minute treadmill run with no headphones.
5. Flip Flops. No one likes to walk around barefoot in a gym locker room. Can we say germ-fest? Bacteria party? Either way…ew. Get yourself a cheap pair like these ($2.50) to use in the shower and walk around.
6. Protein Bar. Chances are, you’ve given up your lunch hour so you could hit the gym. Your body needs fuel after a workout, so stash a few of these in your bag to grab quickly if you need to. I would, however, recommend packing a healthier lunch (i.e. salad, wrap, etc) and eating at your desk when you get back, if it’s possible.
7. Phone. Or something that you keep your music playlists on. Not sure about you guys, but I physically can’t get going on any kind of workout if I don’t have my music. It’s just not happening. Keep an updated playlist on Spotify (you can see ours here) to quickly access for that run.
8. Towel. I’d actually recommend two towels. One for your workout (love this one) and one for after.
9. Wet clothes bag. For the sweaty workout clothes. That way they’re isolated from the other items in your bag. This one got pretty decent reviews.
10. Water bottle. Most people keep a reusable one with them most of the day anyway, but it’s especially important to stay hydrated during a workout (duh). Make sure it makes it into your gym bag from your desk if you head to the gym mid-day. This one and this one are awesome. Or if you like bright colors, this one.